Search...

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Ruth Miller Popped Off

This week during my FYE, our professor gave us the luxury of bringing in a guest speaker, Ruth Miller.  She is a tour guide and historian of Charleston and the lowcountry.  Also, she has written several books.

I personally thoroughly enjoyed her presentation.  I find history extremely fascinating, and getting to learn about all of the rich history of Charleston was very cool.  Many of the things she said I hadn't heard before, and she kept me intrigued the entire time.  

Mostly, I think I was so wowed because at the beginning she said "History is written by the winners", which is extremely true.  I thought it was amazing because even though she said that, Ms. Miller still managed to provide details about the south before the Civil War that I had never heard.  

Not only that, but it is always so pleasing to me to see people who are genuinely passionate about what they do.  I find it incredibly inspiring, and it brings me hope and motivation that I will find something that makes me feel the same.  I don't remember what she said exactly, but for a solid ten minutes she stood at the board and pointed out different designs in the headstone she had put up.  

Here's an picture of it ->

Overall, I thought her presentation was a great use of class time.  Ms. Miller is such a kind woman and speaking to her afterwards provided more insight on to both the history of Charleston and her life in general.  I would love to talk to her again sometime and learn more because I honestly didn't think there was enough time for me to learn all I could from someone with so much knowledge.  I'm very thankful for this wonderful opportunity, but I was also so wrapped up in what she was saying and therefore forgot to take notes.  I really enjoyed learning from her, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment